Thursday, December 16, 2010

4 Meter in the Netherlands

Today I read on the VERON side that we may get access to 4 meter. 70 to 70.5 MHz to be precise.

That would be great. I am thinking about building something for that band. I could use a transverter and my 50 MHz transceiver. I could use the concept of my CB to ham transverter. The xtal frequency can be a fixed, no need to make it tunable.  alternatively I could make a transverter for a CB radio.

Design idea 1: Use 50 MHz transceiver. Make a xtal oscillator at 20 MHz. Xtal for frequency is standard. Mix with 50 MHz using a SBL-1 mixer. Some filtering is needed at the input. I am sure a preamplifier is needed as well. This makes a basic transverter. Then the output power must be boosted to 8 watt PEP. A power module can take care of that. I found a few on Ebay.

Design Idea 2: Use CB radio and a transverter. It looks like design idea 1. However the Xtal frequency is 43 MHz and it should be tunable over 20 KHz.  This 43 MHz is not available as  standard Xtal so I may have to mix 2 Xtal signals to get to 43 MHz. Maybe 25 MHz and 18 MHz.

No comments:

Post a Comment