Thursday, February 6, 2014

chn-8020 transceiver

I just bought a defect chn-8020 transceiver from a fellow ham.




The transceiver is a home made transceiver designed in 1980 ? by PA0CHN It covers 2 bands, 20 meter and 80 meters. ssb/cw 10W output. IF is 9 MHz.'
It iused to be popular here in the netherlands.

This  unit was not in a good state. It needs a lot of work. It was not completed by the builder.
It was not build by the ham I bought it from so its history was unclear.
Some components were missing and some wiring was missing or just incorrect.
Fortunately the difficult components were mounted including the 9MHz xtal filter.

When I fired it up it did not do much. A light was working and i heared some cracking noise from the speaker while turning the volume knob.

I found that the VFO did work. The audio module worked a bit after cleaning the contacts.
The audio module also contains the sidband xtal scillators and a mixer. So I applied a very strong 9 MHz signal on the input. I could hear it weakly from the speaker. So it has some life in it

No comments:

Post a Comment